Monday, 7 January 2013

Socks: Gieves and Hawkes

My long-time readers will know that I'm a big proponent of 'fun' socks. Even if bright patterns aren't your thing, I'm firmly of the opinion that the gap between black shoes and (usually) blue or grey trousers is the perfect place where you can get away with almost any colour you fancy.


Nevertheless, there's a time and a place for everything, and any well-dressed man also needs a selection of the sort of sober socks that he can use to fulfil the more conventional rule that socks should match either your shoes or your trousers. Personally, on the rare occasions when I'm not simply ignoring this rule, I prefer socks to match trousers since black socks are a little too schoolboy for my taste. And so it is that a range of blue and grey socks are required. Plain colours are fine, and useful, but something with a subtle pattern is acceptable and possibly preferable, especially with a plain suit. Gieves and Hawkes do a particularly good selection of this sort of thing, and offer them in that majestic above-the-calf length that I particularly like: it's both hugely comfortable, and also gives a chap a sense of security that no matter how he might lounge in his armchair or cross his legs, there's no chance of a flash of bare leg being exposed.




4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more on over-the-calf socks, so much more comfortable than ankle socks and no risk of flashing a leg. But thanks for pointing out that G&H do these, I wasn't aware, I shall have to try them out. What is the quality like, as I do quite a lot of walking each day?

    Until now I have bought Falke socks, they do a great subtle two-toned ribbed sock which I'm quite unhealthily obsessed with - I particularly like the navy/black and black/grey versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quality's good but they are quite fine, especially in the un-patterned areas. At the toe, for example, the material is pretty well transparent. Not that that necessarily means they'll wear through more quickly, but it's something to consider if you do a lot of walking.

      Delete
  2. Excellent post. Might I have seen you by chance, today? I'm sure it was you I passed outside the Ritz on my way to Green Park station at around 5.45pm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like me, I was rushing from Green Park to Duke street at about that time. I assure you that I wouldn't normally wear an OE tie in public, but I was going to a gathering where it was more-or-less mandatory...

      Delete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.