Tuesday, 5 January 2010

'Fun' Socks

Every public schoolboy, City banker and succesful barrister knows that the rule about matching your socks to your trousers is made to be broken. So long as, and this is important, it is broken so absolutely, and so boldly, that it can only be deliberate. Wear blue socks with a grey suit and you run the risk that people will think you can't dress yourself. Wear bright red socks with a flower motif, though, and you'll probably get away with it.



My most 'fun' socks come from Paul Smith. So far they've all been gifts (thank you to my siblings and their kindness and good taste for the last couple of Christmases) and they vary from some classic Paul Smith colourful stripes to the bright and wacky patterns in the picture above.

I think these kind of socks go especially well with more casual outfits, such as the odd trousers and brown brogues above, but they can be perfectly acceptable with a suit, so long as you judge the occasion right.

A few things that might be worth considering:
  • Don't wear them all the time. If you're best known for your colourful socks then your life probably needs a drastic rethink.
  • Get the situation right. Not all bosses will appreciate you wearing pink socks to a client meeting.
  • Don't go overboard. Wearing your most fun socks with your most unusual suit, brightest tie and snazziest pocket square will make you look like an idiot. Whenever you wear one unusual item of clothing, everything else needs to be fairly conservative.

5 comments:

  1. Jake, I couldn't agree with you more about the socks. I am all about the colourful socks, I recently got a pair as a gift fro Thomas Pink, incredibly bright blue and red thick stripes. Each time I've worn them so far I've had more than a few complements. I'll try to post a pic of them and a few other favourites on the blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, nice to see you here. I haven't tried Thomas Pink yet, but I might well have a look. As you say, interesting socks never fail to attract comment, and they're a nice opportunity to wear colours and patterns that you'd never dream of wearing on anything that's not covered by your trousers the majority of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turnbull & Asser are very good for socks in the more daring colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, a very good ideal. I might well have a look around T&A at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - a bit over-rate in price though. I have seen some socks made exactly like theirs but for far less. I recently purchased a some cotton maroon socks from them, only to find out that it was cheaper in a shop like Hilditch and Key =(

    New and Lingwood used to have a good selection but I think that has now more or less finished.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.